Sunday, 2 March 2014

THE SUNDAY POST: BRICK LANE & PORTOBELLO ROAD

For some Sundays might well be a lazy day, but for me and my boyfriend we like to get out and about and do something different before the Monday morning blues set in. We love going down to London for the day visiting different places and trying different foods. In fact, we pretty much eat all day! Trying to keep up with my boyfriends eating habits on a day out is like to trying to keep up with Adam Richman from Man Vs Food! Today was no different to any other, we especially like to venture up to a London market for a browse and to sample international foods. This week we went to Brick Lane market which I haven't been to in years! It's not far from Aldgate East station and was signposted at the station which is always handy when you forget your phone for Google Maps!

The choice of foods is ridiculous and I vowed to return soon to try all the different delicacies. We went for Chinese street food today which was a mix of Honey Chicken, Teriyaki Chicken and Noodles. The Chicken was amazing, but my stomach has shrunk since I was sick a few weeks ago and I can't seem to eat too much which is so disappointing! There were stalls selling everything from Caribbean food to Ethiopian (which I had never heard of before!) I brought a lovely fresh tropical juice from one stall which had a whole range of different flavours for £1 each. I was slightly skeptical of it not being completely fruit juice and there being syrups and sugar in it, but I can happily say it tasted totally fresh and 100% pure fruit!


For anyone who hasn't been, Brick Lane is not only home to hundreds of international food stalls but it's reknown for it's vintage scene. I actually felt slightly too high street to be there! We ventured around the vintage market stalls full of Joey Essex style shirts, denim jackets and leather bags. Vintage shops are not always the best smelling of stores which does put me off just slightly. There are stalls with new items of clothing as well and I did try on a few floppy hats which I am slightly desperate for at the moment! It's a great place to pick up an ex high street store piece of clothing at cheap prices as well! I saw the fur trim leather jacket I brought from Topshop last year hidden amongst a rail on one stall!

Of course, with London you're going to see something out of the norm and we saw some impressive wall graffiti up and down the streets. The street has so character and the people are really what make it. There were a few different street performers and we stumbled across an amazing beat boxer who was definitely the best I've ever seen. I wouldn't be surprised if I see him on Britain's got Talent any time soon!






We saw some amazing bakeries and cake shops on our way through the market but I felt like holding off until I saw something I had to have (even though I was totally stuffed). We eventually left the market and I decided to take my boyfriend over to Nottinghill Gate for a nose around there. I thought we'd have a browse over at the Portobello Market, however we came to realise it wasn't even on, on Sundays! Without the market on, Portobello Road is a slightly more upmarket affair with posh coffee shops and patisseries. I noticed a lot of people walking by with The Hummingbird Bakery bags in their hand and got slightly over excited! I have been meaning to try their cakes for so long now after reading such good things about them. We eventually found the bakery and we brought a Snickers bar cupcake, Vanilla Icing cupcake and Chocolate Brownie.They are quite pricey at £3-£4 each, but it's worth buying on the odd occasion as they are pretty delish! They also come in cute little boxes which look sweet as a little gift! 


When we're feeling tired we like to hop on a bus until were ready to walk again, which is great with a travel card as it's free on all buses as well. We ended up in Bayswater and just had a nose around really. It's amazing how quick time flies when you're out for the day. It was a long but enjoyable day which ended with my boyfriend falling asleep on my shoulder on the train, dribbling all over me. Just lovely!

7 comments:

  1. Ooo your so lucky to be able to go to London when ever you like, I am very jealous! Being from Durham and living in Leeds it is quite a journey! When I am there I rarely have the time to visit the little food outlets and sample all of those different foods which I bet is amazing, great post, your blog design is also really beautiful :)

    http://dreamlovelivefashion.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to live in London before I moved to Uni so used to visiting. My boyfriend on the other hand hadn't really been before he met me, so I like to drag him round everywhere when we get the chance! Aww thank you.

      Laura x

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos & sounds like a really good day out! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos and post!!! would you like to follow each other with GFC and Bloglovin? let me know...
    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by :) have followed you with GFC.

      Laura x

      Delete
    2. Hi Laura, thank you so much for your visit! I follow you!!
      Want us to follow by bloglovin, let me know and I follow you back
      Have a nice sunday!!!:)))

      Delete

.Header h1 { font: $(header.font); color: $(header.text.color); text-shadow: 0 0 $(title.shadow.spread) #000000; display:none;